Monday

Working Spaces



The trend in home offices may be gone in 5 years due to wireless technology.

When you read this statement, what was your first thought? Michelle Lamb made this remark at a forecasting seminar that I attended and my first thought was - I disagree! I think that no matter how technology grows, we still have to have a space for storage(what would I do without my magazine stash, samples and catalogs ?!) and a dedicated place to sit down and really get to work. Yes, I agree that wireless is a great thing and I love being able to work while lounging at the lake, or enjoying the backyard. But I remember myself as a kid and I always studied better when I sat at my desk, in my little desk chair in my designated study spot. How about you?

I am going to keep my little office space - no matter the trend. So bring on the crystal sconces, beautiful vases, wooden bowls, soft pillows and fantastic artwork! I want to be inspired while working!

Here are a few options when creating your home office:
  • Open shelves filled with baskets provide storage that's visible but out of sight.
  • To cut glare on computer monitors, use an adjustable desk lamp and have overhead lighting on a dimmer.
  • Organize work with a beautiful bulletin or inspiration board.
  • Use glass urns to hold office supplies such as stamps or pencils.
  • Think vertically to maximize space - store beautiful fabric covered boxes and bins on top of one another to hide all those unsightly things.
  • Spend five minutes at the end of each day clearing off your desk so that the next time you sit down to work, you want be distracted.


The above office was designed by Erica Millar and posted on interiordesign.net.